Lenovo has launched Moto Z with its moto mods in India. Moto Z comes with power packed features such as 5.5″ Quad HD display , snapdragon 820 processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB internal and all the following features .It is priced at Rs 39,999 .
Moto Z specifications
- 5.5-inch (2560 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD AMOLED Corning Gorilla Glass display, 535ppi
- 2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Dual SIM
- 13MP rear cameras with dual-tone LED flash, OIS, Laser Autofocus, 1.12um pixel, f/1.8 aperture
- 5MP front-facing camera, f/2.2 aperture, Wide-Angle lens
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 153.3 × 75.3 × 5.19mm; Weight: 136g
- Moto Mods connector, Water repellent nano-coating, USB-C port for headphones, charging and data
- Front-ported loud speaker, 4-Mics
- 4G LTE (Cat 9), WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) with MIMO, NFC
- 2600mAh battery with Turbo charging
It comes with accessories aka mods that helps in getting users advanced functionality over some aspects and I have my own doubts about it . Moto mods include JBL soundBoost speaker, Hasselblad true zoom camera, Instashare projector and a Incipio offGRID power pack .The prices are as following .
|Moto Mods||Pricing||Bundle pricing:|
|JBL SoundBoost Speaker||INR 6999||INR 5999|
|Hasselblad True Zoom Camera||NR 19999||NR 14999|
|Instashare Projector||INR 19999||INR 15999|
|Incipio offGRID Power Pack||INR 5999||INR 4999|
So my main question is , Are these mods pocket friendly ? Or Do they do their jobs perfectly for what they were introduced for ? What is the need of mods? I want to hear your opinions on this at end after my opinions.
So lets take a case of your normal smartphone (non-modular) . Out of the above 4 accessories I use 3 devices – a camera, power bank and bluetooth speaker. So whats the cost of devices I use – Rs 2000 for a 20,000 mAh power bank , Rs 5000 for a JBL flip 2 speaker and I can get a decent point and shoot camera for Rs 15,000 .So we can clearly see they are not pocket friendly .
As far as their use is concerned, can they outperform these devices? I use instead of being so much more costlier? The in my opinion is NO! If you are going for a trip or using the mods for day to day use, you still need to carry these mods with you. Its not like they are solving any portability issues here though I agree mods are slightly more portable than regular devices . But they can not match the quality of a a separate bluetooth speakers/ power bank/ a point and shoot .
Moto Z has only 2600 mAh battery .So even if you end up using mods , you will not be able to use it much longer and battery drain will be like water flowing in a river. Many people have reviewed these mods and they all had same opinion that these mods aren’t great but perform mediocre at best. So why should users spend a hefty amount of money on such half-built products . I would like to know your thoughts on this .